Science & Tech.

X Corp. Fined A$650,000 by Australian Court for Failing to Comply with Child Safety Information Request

SYDNEY — May 22, 2026 — The Federal Court of Australia has ordered Elon Musk’s social media platform X Corp. to pay US$ 465,000 in penalties after the company admitted to failing to adequately respond to a regulatory request for information about its measures to combat online child sexual exploitation. The ruling ends a three-year legal battle that began in February 2023, when Australia’s eSafety Commissioner issued a transparency notice to the platform — then still known as Twitter — requiring detailed information about how the company was tackling child sexual abuse material on its platform .

Company Admits 38-Day Compliance Failure

The court found that X Corp. contravened Australia’s Online Safety Act by failing to provide a complete response to the regulator’s questions between March 29 and May 5, 2023 — a period of 38 days . The company’s lawyer, Perry Herzfeld, acknowledged the violation but noted it occurred during a “period of change and transition for the company” following Elon Musk’s $44 billion acquisition and the merger of Twitter into X Corp. .

More in this section: Elon Musk Loses High-Stakes Lawsuit Against OpenAI as Jury Rules Claims Filed Too Late | Türkiye Passes Bill to Ban Social Media for Children Under 15.

X Corp. had initially argued that it was not bound by the notice because Twitter Inc. had ceased to exist as a separate entity following the corporate restructuring . However, the Federal Court rejected this argument in October 2024, a ruling that was upheld on appeal in July 2025 .

Judge: Penalty Near Maximum for ‘Real Deterrent’

Justice Michael Wheelahan, who presided over the case, imposed a penalty close to the maximum available fine of A$687,500, stating that a significant financial penalty was necessary to serve as a genuine deterrent for a major corporation .

“A penalty near the maximum is appropriate in the case of the respondent, which is a substantial corporation, so that it operates as a real deterrent and is not simply a cost of doing business,” Justice Wheelahan said in his written reasons .

The court also ordered X Corp. to pay A$100,000 toward the eSafety Commissioner’s legal costs. The company has 45 days to pay the total amount .

eSafety Commissioner Welcomes Ruling

Julie Inman Grant, Australia’s eSafety Commissioner, welcomed the Federal Court’s decision, emphasizing that “meaningful transparency is critical to holding technology companies to account” .

The commissioner noted that the original request for information was part of a broader effort to understand how major tech platforms were complying with basic online safety expectations regarding child sexual exploitation and abuse material .

“This is not only a key part of our work as Australia’s online safety regulator, it also provides the Australian public with important information about how these companies are tackling the worst-of-the-worst content on their platforms,” Inman Grant said in a statement .

For broader context, see our in-depth analysis on: The Future of Science & Technology: AI, Space, Biotechnology & Digital Transformation Explained.

Part of Broader Regulatory Crackdown

The case represents the latest in a series of clashes between X Corp. and Australian regulators. The company has previously clashed with the eSafety Commissioner over its refusal to remove videos of a stabbing at a Sydney church and over Australia’s world-leading ban on social media for children under 16 .

The resolution comes as X Corp. prepares for a planned IPO, with the company recently being folded into Musk’s broader SpaceX conglomerate . The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment following the ruling .

SOURCES / INPUTS

  1. South Carolina Lawyers Weekly: Elon Musk’s X loses Australia child protection compliance lawsuit
  2. NHK World-Japan: X fined for violating Australia’s child protection laws
  3. The Canberra Times: X Corp fined $650k over child abuse notice failure

Also read: EU’s Entry/Exit System Fully Operational Across Schengen Area, Transforming Border Management.

You may also like: ‘Priced Out of the Market’: UN Warns Developing Countries Trapped by Unfair Credit Ratings as Debt Costs Soar | ‘They Cannot Afford Another Fall’: Myanmar’s Fragile Recovery from Deadly Earthquake Undermined by Global Crises.

Disclaimer: This content is published for informational purposes and is based on publicly available data, official reports, and credible sources available at the time of publication. While every effort is made to ensure accuracy, completeness, and editorial integrity, information may evolve as new details emerge. Readers are encouraged to refer to primary and official sources for the most current, accurate, and authoritative information. Nothing in this content constitutes professional advice of any kind, including legal, medical, financial, or technical advice. Some content may be created or assisted using editorial tools and technologies; however, all material is subject to editorial review and oversight to ensure accuracy, clarity, and relevance in accordance with our publishing standards. Images, graphics, and visual elements are used for illustrative purposes unless otherwise stated and may not always represent exact events, locations, or individuals. For detailed information regarding our editorial standards and AI usage practices, please review our AI-Generated Content Disclosure Policy, Editorial Policy, Privacy Policy, Terms of Service, and Corrections & Updates Policy.

WNS News Desk

WNS News Desk is the editorial team of World News Studio, covering major developments in global affairs, politics, business, science, and society. The desk compiles verified information from official statements, field reporting, and trusted international sources to provide accurate and timely news coverage.

Leave a Reply