World

Building Collapse in Philippines Traps Dozens of Construction Workers

ANGELES CITY, Philippines — May 24, 2026 — A nine-story building under construction collapsed early Sunday morning in Angeles City, north of Manila, trapping dozens of workers beneath a massive pile of concrete and twisted steel, authorities said. Rescue operations are ongoing as emergency crews race against time to locate survivors.

The structure collapsed between 2:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. local time on Sunday, May 24, in Barangay Balibago, Teodoro Street, according to the Philippine Red Cross . The collapse occurred during heavy rain and strong winds that had lashed the area on Saturday night .

More in this section: At least 82 Killed in Massive Coal Mine Gas Explosion in Northern China | Magnitude 5.9 Earthquake Hits Southern Peru, Injuring at Least 28 and Damaging Buildings.

Conflicting Casualty Reports as Rescue Continues

Local officials have provided varying estimates of the number of workers trapped, as rescue efforts remain fluid and communication on the ground remains challenging.

City information officer Jay Pelayo told DZBB radio that a site foreman who managed to escape estimated that 30 to 40 workers may still be trapped . However, a site engineer later suggested that only 19 personnel were typically assigned to the area, though authorities have not been able to confirm whether all 19 were present at the time of the collapse .

As of Sunday morning, the Angeles City government reported that 24 individuals had been rescued from the collapsed infrastructure, with two additional people pulled from a nearby apartment-style hotel that was damaged when the building came down .

Survivors Rescued, Some in Stable Condition

Among those rescued was a 51-year-old Malaysian national who was staying in a budget hotel adjacent to the construction site, which was also damaged in the collapse .

Authorities have confirmed that two people trapped in the rubble are alive and have been communicating with rescuers . “They are in constant communication. We are awaiting more details, but our rescuers are doing their best to pull the survivors out of the rubble,” Pelayo told Reuters .

Those rescued have been described as being in “stable condition” . No deaths have been reported as of Sunday afternoon, though officials caution that the number of missing remains unconfirmed.

Rescue Challenges: Concrete Debris, Unstable Structure

Emergency responders face significant challenges in their search and rescue operations. The building was constructed primarily of concrete, making it extremely difficult to move debris and access potential survivors .

For broader context, see our in-depth analysis on: Modern World Order Explained: Power, Alliances & Global Systems.

“There are big chunks of concrete, and we need equipment to lift them up. That is what’s challenging for the rescue right now,” Pelayo told AFP .

Images shared by local media show the building reduced to a heap of concrete and twisted metal, still covered in green construction netting . Power lines were also hit during the collapse and are being secured .

The Angeles City government has activated a Unified Command System to coordinate rescue efforts. Under this framework, the Bureau of Fire Protection is leading rescue and retrieval operations, the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office is handling logistics and operational support, the Philippine National Police is securing the area and managing crowd control, and the City Information Office is releasing official updates to the public .

Possible Cause: Heavy Rains and Thunderstorm

The cause of the collapse remains under investigation, with the city engineer reviewing the construction history . However, officials noted that the collapse occurred during a thunderstorm, and local atmospheric services recorded approximately 44 mm of rainfall falling on Angeles City between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Saturday night .

Site Background

The building was a proposed nine-story concrete infrastructure project. Angeles City, located approximately 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of Manila, was once home to one of the largest U.S. Air Force bases outside the American mainland until its closure in the early 1990s . The area has since developed into an entertainment and commercial hub, with the former base now operating as the Clark Freeport Zone .

Authorities are urging the public to avoid the incident area to ensure that rescue operations can proceed seamlessly .


SOURCES / INPUTS

  1. RSOE EDIS: Philippines – Building under construction collapses, possibly trapping dozens
  2. ABC News: Dozens feared trapped after building collapse in the Philippines

Also read: Italian 19-year-old dominates Shanghai Grand Prix from pole to finish, leading Mercedes one-two ahead of Lewis Hamilton’s first Ferrari podium.

You may also like: Indian Court Awards Death Sentence to Nine Police Officers in Sathankulam Custodial Deaths Case | ‘Acute and Persistent’: UN Warns Cuba’s Humanitarian Crisis Deepens Despite Limited Fuel Arrivals.

Disclaimer: This content is published for informational purposes and is based on publicly available data, official reports, and credible sources available at the time of publication. While every effort is made to ensure accuracy, completeness, and editorial integrity, information may evolve as new details emerge. Readers are encouraged to refer to primary and official sources for the most current, accurate, and authoritative information. Nothing in this content constitutes professional advice of any kind, including legal, medical, financial, or technical advice. Some content may be created or assisted using editorial tools and technologies; however, all material is subject to editorial review and oversight to ensure accuracy, clarity, and relevance in accordance with our publishing standards. Images, graphics, and visual elements are used for illustrative purposes unless otherwise stated and may not always represent exact events, locations, or individuals. For detailed information regarding our editorial standards and AI usage practices, please review our AI-Generated Content Disclosure Policy, Editorial Policy, Privacy Policy, Terms of Service, and Corrections & Updates Policy.

Akhtar Badana

Akhtar Badana can be reached at https://x.com/akhtarbadana

Leave a Reply